Prep work in progress
Periodic lane closures or alternate one lane traffic with flaggers, as crews prepare work areas along the corridor between Aitkin and Hassman. Includes:
- Locate or move utilities
- Survey or inspect work areas
- Test samples of soil, water or road surface
Watch for crews or equipment along the work area. Always check 511mn.org for today's road conditions.
About this project
Major work, detour begins in 2023
MnDOT will reconstruct the road and widen shoulders on Hwy 169 from the Ripple River in Aitkin to the Mississippi River north of Hassman, Aitkin County. Sign up for 2023-2024 project email updates
Summary of work
- Reconstruct 11 miles of road surface with a stronger, concrete overlay material
- Widen the shoulders (eight feet paved and two feet gravel), lengthen turn lanes
and improve road access
- Repair or replace drainage infrastructure
- Reconstruct bridge drainage ditch
- Project map, PDF
The project will require shoulder and lane closures with possible flaggers each year, and road closures with detours in 2023 and 2024. Access to businesses and residents will be maintained.
Here's what to expect:
- 2022-2023 Prepare work areas: Lane or shoulder closures, flaggers, equipment along the highway
- 2023-2024 Reconstruct road: Closures, detour plans map, PDF
- 2025 Wrap-up work: Lane closures, flaggers
More information to become available when closer to construction.