Construction is nearing completion with finishing work left to occur.
About this project
- Restore the structural integrity of the roadway and improve the ride. The existing pavement will be reclaimed/ground up with a new bituminous surface then placed over the top.
- Replace or repair culverts that are in poor condition.
- Replace the culvert(s) at Hollow Rock Creek with a new single-span bridge that will decrease flooding potential and improve fish passage.
- Replace the culvert(s) at Red Rock Creek with a larger box culvert that will decrease flooding potential and improve fish passage.
- Intersection safety improvements: turn lanes and bypass lanes.
- Pedestrian safety improvements: intersection lighting, trail crossings.
- Bi-lingual signage.
- Guardrail replacement
Past Public Meetings
Monday, November 18, 2019
5 p.m. - 7 p.m.
Grand Portage Casino
About 35 people attended the meeting which featured proposed layouts, a presentation and time for questions.
Anticipated 2021 work
- Construct Hollow Rock Creek bridge.
- Intersection safety improvements
- Reclaim and resurface the highway.
- Traffic Impacts
- Traffic will be run on single lane bypass controlled by portable signal system at Hollow Rock Creek while the new bridge is being constructed.
- Highway reclaiming and resurfacing will result in lane closures controlled by flaggers and pilot cars.
- Short term intersection closure of Blazes Pit Road
- Short term intersection closure of Stevens Road with a local traffic detour.