Seeds student worker program current openings
- Location: 395 John Ireland Blvd, Saint Paul MN 55155
- Office: Environmental Stewardship
- Majors: GIS, Geography, Environmental or related field
This position exists to assist the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) in supporting the Strategic Operating Plan (SOP) by providing a basis for public engagement, risk evaluation, resource allocation, trade-off decisions. This position will create and maintain geospatial transportation data in the Linear Referencing System (LRS) within the existing Geographic Information System (GIS) environment in accordance with state protocols and ensuring Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements are met.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Assist with maintaining and further developing “Plan Your Project” and “Plan Your Trip” interactive online mapping tools for use by internal and external customers, including entry of geographic update information through a computer and in-field collector app so that geospatial data and maps produced from this data will accurately represent current information.
- Develop plain language and accessible training and use case scenarios so the MnDOT staff can apply this forward-looking technology as a tool to apply Context Sensitive Solutions and Complete Street principles to program delivery decision-making.
- Coordinate with Office of Environmental Stewardship’s GIS manager and subject matter experts, MnDOT Functional Offices and Districts, MnIT. Minnesota Mississippi River Parkway Commission agencies and by way partners to assure their work is effective in fulfilling plans and meeting specifications.
- Research, interpret and compile pertinent sources of geospatial information so that MnDOT’s geospatial transportation data accurately reflects current roadway status and will be updated within scheduled time frames.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including training development, print map design, data, analysis mapping, Traveler Resource stakeholder/partner engagement and data maintenance including collector app fieldwork, meeting participation and presentations.
- This position may require travel.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and experience using ESRI ArcGIS online technology, including ability to produce interactive and Story Maps or similar web mapping applications.
- GIS collector application development and /or data management experience.
- Basic Java development skills, Adobe Creative Cloud skills and experience.
- Good written and oral communication skills.