Sustainable transportation practices respect, support and (where possible) regenerate environmental systems, the economy and society over many generations. This requires balancing three components.
To ensure the sustainability of the transportation system and the communities it serves, Mn/DOT will:
- Use all resources wisely
- Consider the needs of future generations
- Evaluate a wide range of risks
- Protect and enhance the environment
- Conserve energy and natural resources
- Improve quality of life
- Involve the public in the transportation planning process
- Encourage innovative approaches to the design, operation and maintenance of our facilities
What is Mn/DOT Doing?
A few recent initiatives and activities related to sustainability are described below.