The Metro Materials Independent Assurance unit fulfills the federal requirement (FHWA: 23 CFR 637) which necessitates that for all federal-aid highway projects, state DOT’s have an approved Quality Control/Quality Assurance-Acceptance program in place to ensure compliance with the regulations. The Independent Assurance (IA) Program provides an unbiased check and review on all contractor and agency testing procedures, personnel and equipment. IA split materials samples are also taken and tested at the state lab in Maplewood.
In addition Metro IA personnel provide knowledgeable technical assistance and training for project engineers, inspectors and technicians for state, county, city, contractors, consultants and the MnDOT Technical Certification unit. Metro IA is also responsible for processing the final materials exception summary certification sheets and packet.
- Independent Assurance Manual - Signed (PDF)
- Metro Independent Assurance Personnel List (PDF)
- Helpful links for materials certification (Word)
- IAST Job Field Guide (PDF)
- Independent Assurance System (IAS)
- Lab Testing Plant Inspection Services Request (Word)
- Provisional Certification Clarification (PDF)
- 2013 IAST Protocol (PDF)
- Statewide IAIG Phone List 2016 (Excel)
Materials Exception Summary documents
- Bituminous Exception Submittal (XLS)
- Concrete Exception Submittal (XLS)
- Cover Letter Exception Summary Packet (Word)
- Materials Certification Exception Summary Submittal Form (Word)
- Materials Certification Exception Summary Submittal Form (PDF)
- Materials Certification Process - 2017 (PDF)
- SALT Materials Exception (PDF)
- SALT Materials Exception Summary Procedure (PDF)
- Tester Inventory (XLS)
If you require any of the documents in an alternative format, please contact us.