Snow Plow Operator Training (SPOT)
About the program
SPOT is a set of skills (standards), achieved through training, for snow plow operators. Participants are trained on how to safely inspect, drive, and operate an over-width commercial motor vehicle with front and wing plows. This training sets the minimum skill expectations needed to perform plowing procedures at MnDOT.
Training Program Objectives for Class Participants
- Identify and perform required pre-trip and post-trip inspections
- Perform truck operating procedures (operate primary and secondary controls)
- Identify and perform safe backing habits
- Identify and perform driving proficiency with plow, wing, and sander attached
- Practice safe operating/driving procedures
- Identify and perform power take-off (PTO) operations, including the plow, wing, sander components
- Perform material application skills, including operation of sander/spinner controls and box operation
- Understand and perform equipment care and maintenance
For information regarding SPOT, contact Rick Shomion.