Systems Engineering for Centralized Traffic Signal Control Software (CTSCS)
This project used the systems engineering process to develop specifications for a new Centralized Traffic Signal Control Software (CTSCS). Centralized traffic signal control allows the operator to manage operations remotely via higher speed, constant communications with the field. This type of control is used on approximately one-third of MnDOT’s Metro District signal system, particularly those intersections on critical, high-volume routes. MnDOT’s current central control system is no longer supported by the vendor. This is the primary driver behind MnDOT’s procurement of a new CTSCS.
- Complete the Systems Engineering analysis to identify the needs and features of a new CTSCS.
- Fosters integration of the deployment of regional ITS systems and components while complying with federal regulations.
- Enhance MnDOT’s financial effectiveness while taking proper consideration of systems interoperability and future expansion compatibility.
- Work cooperatively with agency partners to achieve greater safety, mobility, and efficiency on the signalized arterial system.
- Develop procurement specification that meets the operating needs of MnDOT and its agency partners.