Minnesota Department of Transportation

511 Travel Info

Historic Bridges

Trunk Highway 74 Corridor

Trunk Highway 74 Corridor

Bridge 9612

History & significance

From 1936-1942 the Works Progress Administration (WPA), in concert with the Minnesota Highway Department (MHD), built new drainage structures and constructed Trunk Highway 74 between the towns of St. Charles and Elba and through Whitewater State Park in Winona County. The 9-mile extent of Trunk Highway 74 between St. Charles and Elba is eligible for the National Register and is significant in the areas of entertainment/recreation and politics/government. A series of 15 bridges and culverts built along the eligible portion of Trunk Highway 74 are contributing to the significance of the highway corridor. They are largely constructed in the Rustic Style, which utilizes local materials and stonework to highlight the landscape and minimize manmade features.

Location

Elba to St. Charles, Winona County

Owner

MnDOT

Resources