Whitewater Culverts (Bridge 8592)
History & significance
The four culverts that were built to carry Trunk Highway 74 over a drainage channel in Whitewater State Park (Bridges 8592, 8593, 8594, and 8594) were designed by the National Park Service, the Minnesota Department of Highways, and the Minnesota Department of Conservation. They were constructed in 1936 by a Works Progress Administration (WPA) Transient Camp located in the park. With nearly identical basic designs, they have metal Armco multi-plate arches with rustic style headwalls and low knee walls built of Oneota Dolomite, a local carbonate rock quarried within the park. Depending on the location, some have extended stone wingwalls that form flumes to channel the water. The stone masonry consists of random ashlar, roughly squared blocks, nearly coursed in some areas. Each culvert has a 10-foot-wide arch opening with long skewed barrels ranging in length from 85 to 115 feet.
The four culverts are contributing elements within the Whitewater State Park Historic District, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Whitewater State Park (Winona County)
Latitude, Longitude: 44.046288, -92.059154