History & significance
Bridge 94246 is a seven-span structure constructed in 1924 that consists of two steel deck trusses and five steel deck plate girders. The former double track railroad bridge over the Mississippi River was converted into a pedestrian/bicycle bridge in 1999. Bridge 94246 is significant for its configuration as a deck truss, which is a rare truss type in the state, and innovative reuse of 1886 pin-connected deck truss spans that were reinforced in 1924 with riveted deck truss spans. Additionally, the bridge is significant for its association with a movement in Minneapolis to separate railroad crossings from vehicular and pedestrian crossings.
In 1999 the City of Minneapolis converted Bridge 94246 from a railroad bridge to a pedestrian and bicycle bridge. At that time any existing rail lines were removed, the bridge was redecked, and a new railing was installed. Additional repairs occurred in 2012-2013 and included encapsulating Pier 4 in concrete and adding a new timber fender system around the pier. Steel rods and reinforcements were added to pier 2 at this same time. Future rehabilitation efforts planned on the structure include stabilization of piers 3 and 5.
City of Minneapolis (Hennepin County)
Latitude, Longitude: 44.97774414, -93.24118316