Boom Island Bridge (Bridge 93835)
History & significance
Bridge 93835 was built in 1901 by the Wisconsin Central Railway Company to provide rail access from Nicollet Island across the Mississippi River channel to its new railroad yard on Boom Island. The location near Minneapolis’s grain and milling center at nearby St. Anthony Falls was ideal for freight shipping. Engineer Charles F. Loweth designed the 172-foot-long, single-span, pin-connected, Pratt through truss. All remaining railroad yard buildings were removed around 1970 and the property was transformed into today’s park. The bridge, now converted to bicycle and pedestrian use, is the only surviving remnant of Boom Island’s once-extensive rail facility.
Bridge 93835 is a contributing resource to the St. Anthony Falls Historic District, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. It is additionally significant as the work of Charles F. Loweth, an important Minnesota engineer.
Boom Island Bridge 93835 was rehabilitated in 2019. The timber deck was removed to facilitate steel repairs to the support system, and a new wood plank deck was installed. The existing chainlink fence was replaced with a new cable rail system. Concrete abutment repairs were completed and the bridge was cleaned and repainted.
City of Minneapolis (Hennepin County)
Latitude, Longitude: 44.990691, -93.265504