Garrison Pedestrian Underpass (Bridge 5265)
History & significance
The Garrison Pedestrian Underpass was built in 1938 by the Civilian Conservation Corps as part of an extensive wayside development project in the vicinity of Mille Lacs Lake. It carried vehicular traffic on U.S. Highway 169 over a small creek along the lake at the south edge of Garrison in Crow Wing County. It also facilitated pedestrian traffic beneath the highway and adjacent lakeshore. The structure is a corrugated-metal, multi-plate, arch culvert with stone masonry headwalls, wingwalls, sidewalls, and railing, and a two-cell masonry culvert beneath the concrete-slab floor of the pedestrian underpass. The corrugated-metal arch is comprised of bolted segments, anchored in place by concrete abutment walls. The stone masonry is random-coursed, rock-faced, ashlar granite. Aesthetically, it is one of Minnesota's best examples of a multi-plate arch bridge. It is significant for its well-crafted stonework and fine architectural detailing.
City of Garrison (Crow Wing County)
Latitude, Longitude: 46.28743262, -93.82362763