Minnesota Department of Transportation

511 Travel Info

Historic Bridges

James J. Hill Stone Arch Bridge (Bridge 27004)

James J. Hill Stone Arch Bridge (Bridge 27004)

James J. Hill Stone Arch Bridge
See features of the bridge

History & significance

The James J. Hill Stone Arch Bridge was built between 1881 and 1883 to carry the Minneapolis Union Railroad over the Mississippi River just below St. Anthony Falls in Minneapolis. Originally the bridge had 23 limestone arches with spans ranging from 40 to 97.8 feet. In 1962 two river spans were replaced by a steel Warren deck truss to accommodate vessels using the newly completed Upper Lock and Dam. After railroad use of the bridge ended in 1982, it was converted for pedestrian use and became part of the St. Anthony Falls Heritage Trail. The bridge is located within the St. Anthony Falls Historic District and is designated a National Historic Engineering Landmark.

Location

City of Minneapolis (Hennepin County)
Latitude, Longitude: 44.98074442, -93.25354072

Bridge features

James J. Hill Stone Arch Bridge

The design of the Stone Arch Bridge includes an
817-foot, six-degree curve on the west end.

James J. Hill Stone Arch Bridge
The original stonework including parapet wall, stone pylons, stone masonry details, black granite marker stones, and stone plaque.
James J. Hill Stone Arch Bridge

Metal tie rods extending through the
spandrel walls were intended to
counteract expansion of the spandrel
walls.

James J. Hill Stone Arch Bridge
The setting and location of the bridge
within the St. Anthony Falls Historic
District.