About this project
MnDOT reconstructed Hwy 71 north of Jackson with two lanes northbound and one lane southbound with a two-way left turn lane and added a trail. Crews also replaced the bridge over the Des Moines River and reconfigured the 4th Street/Springfield Parkway/Hwy 71 intersection. MnDOT also modified business and street access to improve safety. A ribbon-cutting ceremony, hosted by the Jackson Chamber, was held on Nov. 18 as that was the expected opening date. Hwy 71 in Jackson officially opened to traffic on November 22, 2016.
- Contract awarded to Minnowa Construction for $4,937,755.55
- Replace Des Moines River Bridge
- Reconstruct from N. Highway to Riverside Dr.
- Mill and overlay Riverside Dr. to Golf Course
- Extend Des Moines River Trail north to Golf Course (with future plans to extend to Belmont Drive)
- Pedestrian crossing signal at Springfield Parkway/4th St.