About this project
Summary of work
- Construct three J-turns, also known as Reduced Conflict Intersections
- Hwy 60 & 10th St (Jackson County Rd 9)
- Hwy 60 & Jackson County Rd 24
- Hwy 60 & 1st St (Jackson County Rd 43)
- March 26, 2018 Open House Presentation
- Project Design Layout (revised)
- Alternative Project Design Layout (revised) (at County Road 43)
Why are these improvements needed?
The 10th St (Jackson County Rd 9) intersection has an above average number of crashes; most of which are right-angle/t-bone type crashes. These crashes carry a higher likelihood of serious injury or death. Two of the right-angle crashes that have occurred recently have resulted in three fatalities. Only addressing the problem at 10th St could result in the problem being relocated to the other intersections that serve Heron Lake, which is why all three intersections are being treated. Other important FAQs.
Letter to the Editor (Worthington Globe) addressing the need for the safety improvements.
More important Information
More about Reduced Conflict Intersections
How they reduce fatal and injury crashes
How a semitrailer would navigate a Reduced Conflict Intersection