About this project
Construction expected to begin July 18
Highway 4 St. James construction open house June 29
The Highway 4 through St. James project was successfully rebid in May and is ready to move forward with construction. A public information open house is scheduled on Wednesday, June 29 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the St. James Community Center, 505 1st Ave. South.
The public is encouraged to attend to learn about the revised construction schedule, detours and local access routes. Staff from the Minnesota Department of Transportation, city of St. James and the contractor will review construction information and answer questions. Construction will begin July 18 and continue in 2017-18.
S M Hentges & Sons, Inc. of Jordan was awarded the contract with a bid of $15,685,646, about $3.2 million less than the lowest bid in February. A couple of factors figured into the lower bids. There were more bidders, staging options were offered and the risk with the hazardous material removal was reduced.
- May-June, 2016 Project bidding process
- July-Oct, 2016 Initital Work
- May-Oct, 2017 Major Construction
- May-Sept, 2018 Major Construction
- May-June, 2019 Finishing Work
Hwy 4 will be constructed in three phases. Phase 1 includes the downtown and fairgrounds area. Phase 2 includes the area between the downtown and fairgrounds. Phase 3 includes the area north of downtown.
- Stage 1 Local Access Routes (PDF) (Note Stage dates are incorrect)
- Stage 2 Local Access Routes PDF) (Note Stage dates are incorrect)
- Stage 3 Local Access Routes (PDF) (Note Stage dates are incorrect)
Through-traffic of Hwy 4 will be detoured.Local access to businesses and residences will be maintained. Detour routes include Hwy 4, County Roads 57, 56 and 55. View/print through-traffic detour route (PDF)
Hwy 4 through the city of St. James is in poor condition and in disrepair. The city utility infrastructure is also in poor condition and is currently experiencing multiple breaks each winter. MnDOT received municipal consent for the projects project in December 2014. The project includes reconstruction of approximately 1.6 miles of Hwy 4, including two new mini-roundabouts. Project elements include:
- Reconstruct Hwy 4 from approximately 200 feet south of 10th Avenue S. to 11th Avenue N.
- Realign 7th Avenue S. to address the skew and increase safety
- Construct mini-roundabouts at the two existing signals on 1st Avenue
- Provide back-in parallel parking downtown
- Replace existing sidewalk and install new sidewalk
- Bring all pedestrian accommodations up to Americans with Disability Act (ADA) standards
- Upgrade city utility infrastructure - storm sewer throughout the corridor
- Upgrade lighting standards and fixtures
- Downtown Aesthetics
Hwy 4 project receives innovative grant
The Federal Highway Administration announced that MnDOT and the city of St. James have been awarded a demonstration grant to construct two mini-roundabouts and back-in-diagonal parking as part of the Hwy 4 reconstruction project in 2016-17. The Accelerated Innovation Deployment grant is for $864,000 and will be applied to the shared cost of the mini-roundabouts replacing signalized Hwy 4 intersections with 7th Street and Armstrong Boulevard in St. James.