About this project
Hwy 19 is closed for the duration of the project (May 2 - November, 2016). This project is subject to weather - flooding and railroad restrictions.
- Hwy 19 traffic is detoured to Hwy 93 and US Hwy 169. Detour plan (PDF 283 KB)
- Hwy 19 remains open to the Ney Nature Center from Hwy 169
- Henderson Station Road (Tyrone Township Rd 2/Le Sueur County Rd 118) is closed at the intersection
Businesses in Henderson will remain open and the public is encouraged to attend their numerous festivals all season long. More information can be found at www.henderson-mn.com/ .
Summary of work
- Replace existing bridge over the railroad which is nearing the end of its service life
- Replacing the bridge will be more cost effective than continuing to maintain it
- Should eliminate the need for road closures to make bridge repairs
- Bridge concept (PDF)
- Modified layout (PDF)
Hwy 19 has experienced many closures related to flooding. To include flood mitigation with this project would require extending the bridge about 1,800 feet, at an added cost of $30 million. MnDOT does not have enough funding to mitigate flooding issues at this time without deferring other much-needed work. At present, MnDOT’s funding is largely directed to preserve the system we have today as our pavements and bridges are at an age where maintaining them is increasingly expensive.
The work done with this railroad bridge project will not preclude the ability to pursue flood mitigation at a later date, should funding become available. The funding to mitigate flooding on Hwy 169 was with special bond funds identified by the state legislature and competed for on a statewide basis.
Cost estimate (millions)
|Construction (STIP Letting)||