About this project
The Highway 15 project in Fairmont has now received funding and is scheduled to be bid to a contractor on April 28. After a four to six week review process, a contract can be awarded. The construction on Highway 15 will not start before July to allow completion of the I-90 bridge work over Highway 15. The I-90 ramps at Highway 15 are planned to be back open before the Highway 15 project begins. There is a possibility the Highway 15 work could be delayed until 2018 due to the timelines needed for the fabrication of specialty materials.
Summary of work
- Pavement improvements, resurfacing
- Refurbish or replace traffic signals, and upgrade signals to flashing yellow arrow
- Update traffic signals to include accessible pedestrian systems
- Update pedestrian ramps to meet ADA requirements
- Remove and replace sections of poor sidewalk and curb and gutter
- Perform spot repairs of the existing storm sewer lines
- 2013 - Project scoping initiated
- 2014 - Preliminary investigation of existing pavement, preliminary design and project coordination
- 2015 - Collect locations of in-place utilities and complete project mapping, detailed project design, identify easements and construction limits
- 2016 - Complete final design and obtain needed easements
- 2017 - Advertise for bids winter of 2017, begin construction after July 2017
2017 Traffic impacts
- Watch for lane closures and traffic shifting to single lanes.
- Expect brief, in-town detour for storm sewer work.
- This project will be coordinated with adjacent construction taking place on I-90 between Sherburn and Fairmont as well as work the City has planned for Margaret Street.
- Business access will be maintained throughout the Hwy 15 project. Find out more about the Fairmont Chamber's effort to survive the construction on both I-90 and Highway 15 visit http://fairmontchamber.org/