About this project
MnDOT plans to make changes to the I-90/Hwy 52 interchange to improve safety and reduce delays.
The main goals of the project are:
- Decrease crashes, especially t-bone crashes which are more deadly
- At this interchange, these crashes happen when a vehicle is making a left-hand turn
- Reduce run-off-the-road crashes at ramps
- These happen most often at westbound I-90 to northbound Hwy 52
- Eliminate the line of vehicles waiting to turn from southbound Hwy 52 to eastbound I-90
- Replace the I-90 bridges over Hwy 52
The project team has considered many options and is proposing the below changes to the intersection.
A new feature, a flyover ramp, for southbound Hwy 52 to eastbound I-90, will solve several problems:
- Remove 92% of left-hand turns, reducing the risk for t-bone crashes
- The dedicated ramp will get rid of the line of vehicles that wait to turn
New ramps will reduce the run-off-the-road crashes:
- Changing the angles will allow for better, more controlled entrance/exit
- Lengthened accelerations lanes will also improve conditions
The bridge replacements will allow for:
- Relocation of the bridge piers that block the view of on-coming traffic
- Improved bridges that will last another 60 years or more
Comments and feedback
The project team has considered many options and has chosen an alternative one that will achieve the project goals. Feedback is welcome and encouraged. A comment form is available on the comments tab. The project manager is also available for questions.