Tree clearing in February
Motorists on I-90 and Hwy 52 southeast of Rochester should be alert beginning Feb. 5 for crews who are clearing trees from the work zone to prepare for this summer's construction project.
Trees in the work zone are expected to be cleared by late-February. Vehicles will need to travel through narrowed lanes at times while trucks and equipment are along the shoulder of the road on traffic ramps and the adjacent roads. Motorists should slow down and pay attention through the work zones. Signs and barricades will alert motorists to temporary work in locations through the work zone.
June 2023 update
Over the past months, MnDOT has worked to complete environmental documentation, been coordinating with affected property owners, and working toward construction beginning in 2024. You can review the latest updates from June 2023 here.
About this project
Summary of work
Construction is scheduled 2024-2026 to make changes to the I-90/Hwy 52 interchange to improve safety and reduce delays.
- 2024: Construct temporary crossovers and begin new ramps and loops
- 2025: Construct new eastbound I-90 bridge, flyover bridge over Hwy 52 and portion of new ramps and loops
- 2026: Construct new westbound I-90 bridge and remaining portion of new ramps and loops
A new feature, a flyover ramp, for southbound Hwy 52 to eastbound I-90, will solve several problems:
- Remove 92% of left-hand turns, reducing the risk for t-bone crashes
- The dedicated ramp will get rid of the line of vehicles that wait to turn
New ramps will reduce the run-off-the-road crashes:
- Changing the angles will allow for better, more controlled entrance/exit
- Lengthened accelerations lanes will also improve conditions
The bridge replacements will allow for:
- Relocation of the bridge piers that block the view of on-coming traffic
- Improved bridges that will last another 60 years or more