About this project
Redesign and reconstruct three miles of Highway 169 to a new freeway system through Elk River between Highway 101/10 and 197th Avenue, Sherburne County. Construction begins in 2022. View the preliminary design layout on the documents page.
The 169 Redefine project team will continue to work along Hwy 169 to collect data necessary to develop the final freeway design plan, includes soil/water testing, surveying, traffic monitoring and inspecting. Crews will also be along city streets that connect to Hwy 169. Motorists may encounter shoulder closures or see crews and equipment along the road until 2022 construction.
Summary of work
Convert to a freeway
- Reconstruct all four-lanes of Hwy 169 and adjacent road connections
- Construct four new interchanges:
- Hwy 169 bridge over Main St.
- School St./Elk Hills Dr. bridge over Hwy 169
- Hwy 169 bridge over 193rd Ave.
- 197th Ave. over Hwy 169
- Improve pedestrian accessibility along city streets
- Upgrade underground infrastructure and utilities
- Improve access at the Hwy 169/101/10 interchange
- Replace the northbound Hwy 169/101 bridge over Hwy 10
The ‘169 Redefine’ project is a partnership project with MnDOT, the City of Elk River and Sherburne County.
All information is subject to change.