Minnesota Department of Transportation

511 Travel Info

Placemaking and public art


Parades, special events, community gardens, and banners

Applicants wishing to use a portion of a trunk highway for a community garden, parade, bicycle event, race, filming or other special event can apply for a permit. Before submitting your application, you must obtain approval by both the local official(s) with authority to approve the use. Local governments may have limited use permits for things like city monument signs, wayfinding signs, benches or trails on right of way.