Hwy 61 lane closure begins Oct. 9 north of Red Wing for bridge concrete repairs
RED WING, Minn. – Northbound Highway 61 motorists north of Red Wing will encounter a left lane closure beginning Oct. 9 as crews complete bridge concrete work, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
The site is at the Highway 61 bridge over the south channel of the Cannon River. The northbound Highway 61 bridge will be reduced to one lane, and it is anticipated that work will be completed Oct. 12, weather permitting.
Safety in work zones
Motorists should always be prepared to encounter changing road conditions when approaching work zones. Common traffic changes include lane closures, lane shifts, uneven road surfaces, heavy equipment and slow or stopped traffic. To keep everyone safe, drivers must:
- Obey posted speed limits. The fine for speeding in a work zone is $300.
- Drive undistracted. Avoid using cell phones, mobile devices, adjusting the radio – even eating –while in work zones.
- Move over. Give workers room to safely complete their work.
- Know before you go. Get real-time information about traffic and road conditions at www.511mn.orgor get the free 511mn smartphone app at Google Play or the App Store.
- Be patient. Expect delays, especially during peak travel times.
- Do the zipper merge.
- Avoid making unnecessary lane changes.
- Never enter a road blocked with barriers or cones.