16th Street Southwest bridge lane closure begins Sept. 25 for concrete work in Rochester
ROCHESTER, Minn. – Motorists on the 16th Street Southwest bridge over Highway 52 in Rochester will encounter a lane closure beginning Sept. 25 as crews complete concrete work, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
Work will take place in the eastbound left lane and is anticipated to be complete by Sept. 29, weather permitting.
Safety in work zones
Motorists should always be prepared to encounter changing road conditions when approaching work zones. Common traffic changes include lane closures, lane shifts, uneven road surfaces, heavy equipment and slow or stopped traffic. To keep everyone safe, drivers must:
- Obey posted speed limits. The fine for speeding in a work zone is $300.
- Drive undistracted. Avoid using cell phones, mobile devices, adjusting the radio – even eating –while in work zones.
- Move over. Give workers room to safely complete their work.
- Know before you go. Get real-time information about traffic and road conditions at www.511mn.orgor get the free 511mn smartphone app at Google Play or the App Store.
- Be patient. Expect delays, especially during peak travel times.
- Do the zipper merge.
- Avoid making unnecessary lane changes.
- Never enter a road blocked with barriers or cones.