Hwy 57 roundabouts open to traffic in Kasson
KASSON, Minn. – Three roundabouts on Highway 57 in Kasson opened to traffic on Aug. 16, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
The roundabouts at Dodge County Road 34, Main Street and 16th Street have been under construction since April. Additionally, construction crews have been reconstructing the road, replacing, and updating watermain, sanitary sewer and storm sewers along the route, as well as repaving the road. In 2022, crews reconstructed the road from just north of 1st Street NE to north of 11th Street NE. Sidewalks were also updated to meet current Americans with Disabilities Act requirements.
A full-size roundabout is at County Road 34 south of the railroad tracks, while a mini roundabout is at Main Street north of the tracks, so it could fit within the space. The roundabout at 16th Street at Kasson-Mantorville High School is a full roundabout as well. The work was done in partnership with the City of Kasson.
The construction project removed the traffic signal at Main Street with the installation of the roundabout. It was the last traffic signal in operation in Dodge County. One signal was salvaged and given to Kasson-Mantorville High School as a key prop for their 2024 spring drama, which will feature the play “One Stoplight Town.”
Roundabouts improve safety and reduce travel time for drivers. Roundabouts decrease the number of crashes that result in death by 86% on average. They also decrease of the number of crashes that cause life-altering injury by 83%.
Below are resources that explain roundabout benefits and tips to navigate them safely.
- How pedestrian crossings and traffic work (YouTube)
- Navigating a multi-lane roundabout (YouTube)
- Minnesota roundabout resources (MnDOT website includes videos, brochures, research, examples)
- How roundabouts work (WisDOT website includes videos, brochures, FAQ)
Stay connected, informed
- Learn more about the Highway 57 reconstruction project and the Highway 57 and 16th Street roundabout project.
- Check out current and upcoming MnDOT southeast Minnesota construction projects.
- Want to stay updated on winter driving events and closures? Sign up for our text message and email updates. Winter is just around the corner.
- Want to stay updated on emergency road closures and winter driving events? Sign up for our text message and email updates.
- Interested in a job with MnDOT? Career information for the State of Minnesota can be found at the Minnesota Management and Budget website. Come join us.