Ramp closures on southbound I-35 begin July 31 south of Owatonna
Owatonna, Minn. – Motorists on Interstate 35 will find exit and on-ramp closures for four days at Steele County Road 4 and the Straight River Southbound Rest Area beginning Monday, July 31 as crews resurface the ramps south of Owatonna, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
Access to the southbound rest area will be closed until the work is completed.
The following detours will take place:
- Southbound I-35 motorists will be detoured past the Steele Co. Rd. 4 exit (Exit 32). Motorists will continue south on I-35 to Highway 30 (Ellendale, Exit 26) and turn (left) east, cross the bridge to take the entrance ramp to northbound I-35 and use the northbound I-35 exit at Steele Co. Rd. 4.
- Motorists traveling on Steele Co. Rd. 4 who want to enter southbound I-35 will be detoured to Steele Co. Rd. 3 southbound to make a right turn onto Highway 30 west and then to the I-35 interchange.
The ramp closures will last four days and are part of the highway resurfacing project spanning approximately 8.8 miles of I-35 from Highway 30 to Steele Co. Rd. 31.
Construction maps and more project details can be found at the project website .
Motorists may encounter lane closures or lane shifts, uneven road surfaces, equipment and other unexpected obstacles when driving near or through work zones. MnDOT advises motorists to:
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times.
- Go hands-free and minimize other distractions (e.g., don’t eat or drink while driving).
- Follow posted speed limits; the fine for speeding in a work zone is $300.
- Avoid making lane changes within work zones.
Stay connected, informed