In spring 2019, MnDOT closed a portion of Hwy 67 between Granite Falls and Echo. The roadway is built along a slope near a bend in the Yellow Medicine River. The roadway is unstable due to movement of the earth underneath the roadway. After extensive study it was determined that it was not feasible to repair in place or realign Hwy 67 in this area. The road is being rerouted using Yellow Medicine County Road 2 (see reroute map and new roadway designations at right).
New roadway designations
- Hwy 274 from Hwy 23 to existing CR 2 (north end of Wood Lake) is now Hwy 67
- Hwy 274 from existing CR 2 to 2nd Ave in Wood Lake will become CR 6
- CR 2 from Wood Lake to Hwy 67 is now Hwy 67
- Hwy 67 from Granite Falls to the impacted area (which remains closed) will become Hwy 167
- Hwy 67 from the impacted area to CR 21 will become CR A1
- CR 21 will extend to new Hwy 67/old CR 2
- Highway 67 is open from Highway 23 (Granite Falls) to the Upper Sioux Agency State Park Visitor Center.
- To access the Upper Sioux Agency State Park Yellow Medicine Campground, follow the detour and approach from the south.
- There is no through access from the Upper Sioux Agency State Park to the Yellow Medicine Campground. Visit the park website for more details.
Future projects in the area
As part of these changes, MnDOT will be completing additional projects in the area:
- Installing guardrail, rumble strips and striping on the new Hwy 67/old CR 2. Work is anticipated to be completed in 2024.
- A cul-de-sac will be constructed on existing Hwy 67 near the entrance to the Upper Sioux Agency State Park. Work is anticipated to be completed in 2025.
- The Yellow Medicine Bridge is anticipated to be removed in 2026, or earlier if ground movement accelerates faster than projected.
- MnDOT is rerouting Hwy 67 via County Road 2 due to the high cost and significant impacts to environment and historic and cultural sites.
- Learn more about the decision and view the virtual meeting.