Project work begins July 20.
Between Hwy 53 and Gilbert traffic will encounter flaggers as work occurs on new turn and bypass lanes. In the City of Gilbert, traffic will become single lane in both directions and moved to the east bound lanes between Michigan Avenue and Hwy 135. Traffic will become single lane in both directions and moved to the east bound lanes between Kansas and Nebraska Avenues.
About this project
On Hwy 37 from Hwy 53 to Hwy 135 (approx. 3.67 miles)
Project Scope of Work
Rural Section (TH 53 to New York Ave in Gilbert) - Construction Season 2020
- The project will consist of a 15 year pavement fix (3 inch mill and overlay)
- Turn lanes added at the intersections of:
- Station 44 Road
- W French Avenue
- County Road 97
- Deerwood Drive
- Circle Drive
Urban Section (Kansas Avenue to TH 135) - Construction Season 2021
- Removal and replacement of all pavement, curb and gutter and sidewalk.
- Pedestrian curb ramps will be updated to meet current ADA standards, bump outs will be constructed at select locations.
- Sidewalk extension from Kansas Avenue to Alaska Avenue.
- New continuous lighting system through Gilbert.
- Bike Lane added to both sides of the roadway in business district.
- Some City utility (sanitary sewer and water main) improvements.
Smoother pavement surface resulting in better ride quality, improved drainage, improved safety for vehicles by the addition of turn lanes and for bike and pedestrians by construction of the bike lane, new sidewalk and bump outs.
Approximate Construction Timeline
Construction for this project will be split between two construction seasons
- Summer of 2020 construction is currently scheduled to start July 13th and go through mid-October. Construction will take place between Hwy 53 and Virginia Avenue in Gilbert
- Summer of 2021 construction is planned to start mid-May and end mid-October. Construction will take place between Hwy 135 and Virginia Avenue in Gilbert.
- Roadway is expected to be open with one lane of traffic that will be staged.
- A detour will likely not be needed.
Summary of work
- Highway Pavement Resurfacing, culvert replacements and Storm Sewer Repairs.
- ADA improvements—Ramps and Sidewalk Spot repair. Sidewalk/widened shoulder will be constructed from Kansas Avenue to Alaska Avenue on north side of road.
- Geometric improvements including:
- Right turn lanes at Circle Drive, Deerwood Drive, W. French Avenue, and Station 44 Road (West Connection)
- Bypass lane at County Road 97
- City Utility Upgrades/Repairs to Sanitary Sewer, Water and Storm Sewer
- Fall 2017: MnDOT met with city staff and public to discuss Complete Streets alternatives
- October 2017: ADA field walk