National Safety Rest Area Conference and AASHTO
The National Safety Rest Area Conference, currently held in the fall of even number years, is hosted by a state Department of Transportation (DOT). The conference is the premier event for rest area planners, designers, program managers, facility asset managers, building managers, contractors, vendors and DOT officials from around the nation to meet and learn state-of-the-art practices. In addition to formal presentations from experts in the field, attendees typically have an opportunity to visit rest areas in the host state. An exhibition is often a component of the conference where the latest rest area designs, building materials, supplies and equipment from state DOTs, vendors, architectural firms, and contractors are displayed. Please contact us with any questions or comments about the conference.
The host DOT reports on the conference to the Roadsides and Environment Task Force within the AASHTO Subcommittee on Maintenance.
- 2016 Michigan Department of Transportation - Traverse City
- 2014 North Carolina Department of Transportation – Asheville
- 2012 Utah Department of Transportation – Salt Lake City
- 2010 Kentucky Transportation Cabinet – Louisville
- 2008 Washington Department of Transportation – Seattle
- 2006 Minnesota Department of Transportation – Minneapolis/St. Paul
- 2004 Texas Department of Transportation – San Antonio
- 2003 Virginia Department of Transportation – Norfolk
- 2001 California Department of Transportation – San Diego