MnDOT is fully committed to conducting the study in a completely transparent manner and with full participation by all stakeholders. This transparency includes the posting of responses to comments, fully public Policy Advisory Committee and Technical Advisory Committee meetings, and several rounds of Open Houses around the state as well as targeted stakeholder’s meetings requested by interested groups. You will find all nine Technical Memoranda produced by the consultant which include the raw data that systematically built a set of recommendations and a Plan framework. This will process provides an outline and a vision for better integrating the rail system into the full transportation network serving Minnesota citizens and businesses.
- Minnesota Comprehensive Statewide Rail Plan Final Report (Entire Document, PDF 5.5 MB)
- Executive Summary (PDF 600 KB)
- Download individual chapters
If you have trouble viewing these documents, please contact the webmaster for assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Technical Memorandum (Draft)
Note: The resulting State Rail Plan will not be a simple compilation of the intermediate Technical Memoranda, nor fail to recognize the many initiatives and programs already working or being advanced in the region. This is the raw material for a vigorous and ongoing conversation leading to the Plan. It is intended to be a comprehensive vision, system plan, issues discussion, and information source that will be responsive to the range of input offered by all parties, and form a dynamic framework that will guide public policy and investment developments into the future, consistent with our goals to improve the competitiveness and quality of life of Minnesota.
- DRAFT - Tech Memo 1: Vision for Rail in Minnesota (PDF 2.2 MB)
- DRAFT - Tech Memo 2: Freight Rail Supply and Demand (PDF 6.3 MB)
- DRAFT - Tech Memo 3: Passenger Rail System (PDF 721 KB)
- DRAFT - Tech Memo 4: Integration of Freight and Passenger Planning (PDF 1.2 MB)
- DRAFT - Tech Memo 5: Performance Measures (PDF 190 KB)
- DRAFT - Tech Memo 6: Investment Needs (PDF 2.0 MB)
- DRAFT - Tech Memo 7/8: Institutional Relationships (PDF 1.1 MB)
- DRAFT - Tech Memo 9: Financial and Implementation Plan (PDF 296 KB)
Policy Advisory Committee
Freight Technical Advisory Committee
Passenger Technical Advisory Committee
Public Open Houses
- Passenger Rail Forum
- State Plan: 2009-2028 MnDOT is currently updating Minnesota's Statewide Transportation Plan.
- More about Passenger Rail and Freight
- Freight & Passenger Rail Studies
- Federal Railroad Administration
Passenger Rail Initiatives