Tech Memo 10, Conceptual Operating Scenario, 2035 Potential System-wide Intercity and Commuter Passenger Train Volumes and Impacts, has been posted on the resources page.
About the State Rail Plan:
State Rail Plan Fact Sheet (PDF 433 KB)
Minnesota Comprehensive Statewide Freight and Passenger Rail Plan
The 2008 session of the Minnesota Legislature mandated that MnDOT prepare and submit a Comprehensive Statewide Freight and Passenger Rail Plan.
The plan provides guidance for rail initiatives and investments in the state, and is included in the State Transportation Plan. The plan is required to be eligible for federal funding, and was completed in February 2010.
The scope of the plan addresses the following areas:
- Develop an overall vision for effective utilization of the state’s rail network and its future development.
- More clearly define private and public sector roles, including the role of the State of Minnesota, and the integration of those roles into the planning, coordination, and use of rail in the state’s transportation system.
- Identify priority rail corridors, pro grams, and projects that will offer effective improvements or expansion for passenger travel in and out of Minnesota.
- Enhance freight access to markets and efficient, competitive services to rail customers, as well as improvements to overall freight flows and logistics.
- Develop practical and usable performance measures and investment guidelines for public development of rail assets and services.
- Be compliant with federal planning and funding requirements in order to expedite the participation of Minnesota initiatives in national programs and resources.
- Passenger Rail Forum
- State Plan: 2009-2028 MnDOT is currently updating Minnesota's Statewide Transportation Plan.
- More about Passenger Rail and Freight
- Freight & Passenger Rail Studies
- Federal Railroad Administration
Passenger Rail Initiatives