About this project
The Northern Lights Express is a proposed high speed passenger rail project that would provide rail service between Minneapolis and Duluth. If constructed, NLX will operate on approximately 155 miles of existing BNSF rail corridor.
Federal Railroad Administration issues Finding of No Significant Impact for Tier 1 Service Level Environmental Assessment
- View FONSI, Negative Declaration Letter, Findings of Fact and Conclusion and MnDOT responses to comments
New studies initiated
Now that the Finding of No Significant Impact has been issued, preliminary engineering can begin. This includes:
- Infrastructure improvements
- Station, layover and maintenance facilities
- Grade crossings
- Environmental documentation
- Ridership and revenue forecasts
- Benefit/cost analysis
- Identification of equipment
- Operating and maintenance plans
- Stakeholder involvement
Once preliminary engineering is complete, we’ll have all the required documentation and approvals to support final design and construction of the capital projects needed to begin passenger rail service on the NLX line.