About this project
We are working with our partners to provide environmental documentation and preliminary and final engineering reconstruction of the I-494 freeway that travels through the cities of Bloomington, Richfield, Eden Prairie and Edina.
In 2018, Corridors of Commerce, a state road improvement grant program, awarded the project $134 million to introduce MnPASS lanes from EB France Ave. to Hwy 77 and from WB Hwy 77 to I-35W. An additional $70 million was awarded to construct a directional ramp for NB I-35W to WB I-494 traffic.
The current stage of the project is looking at the entire freeway from the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport to Hwy 169 to determine the size of the project and begin the environmental review process.
The proposed project is envisioned to improve the capacity of the interstate and dramatically improve the reliability of the average rush-hour trip.
Summary of work
- Provide a transit advantage to increase the number of people who can be efficiently moved through the area
- Improve the reliability of the average rush-hour trip
- Improve safety
- Restore pavement to preserve infrastructure and provide a smoother ride
- Improve drainage systems to reduce localized flooding and reduce run-off into the Minnesota River
- Preserve existing bridges