About this study
We are developing solutions to improve vehicle safety and mobility along Hwy 252 and I-94 in Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center and western Minneapolis in partnership with Hennepin County and the cities of Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park and Minneapolis. The solutions will address pedestrian and bicycle travel and safety across and near Hwy 252 and I-94.
These solutions are being evaluated as part of the environmental review process and then will move into design.
Highways under study are:
- Hwy 252 between Hwy 610 in Brooklyn Park and I-94/I-694 in Brooklyn Center
- I-94 between I-94/I-694 in Brooklyn Center and the 4th St. exit to downtown Minneapolis
The environmental review process will answer the following questions:
- What is the best way to improve safety and mobility along Hwy 252 and I-94?
- Where should access to and across Hwy 252 be for drivers, pedestrians and cyclists?
- What is the best type of access for each location on Hwy 252?
- If additional capacity is necessary on Hwy 252 or I-94, what is the most effective way to provide it?
Conversion to a freeway is being considered for Hwy 252 with interchanges at 66th Ave. N., Brookdale Dr. and 86th Ave. N. The addition of MnPASS lanes is being considered for both Hwy 252 and I-94. These changes would affect drivers, transit riders, pedestrians and bicyclists in the area.
Our Office of Traffic Safety maintains a crash database to assist in planning safety programs and projects. That information includes a statewide ranking of the costs of crashes on state highways and at intersections along state highways. Crash rates are based on the number of crashes per million vehicle miles traveled.
Hwy 252 has five intersections in the top 100 Statewide Crash Cost Ranking.
Summary of work
- Study traffic flows and the crash history in the area
- Estimate future traffic flows, congestion, travel time reliability and options to improve safety and circulation
- Develop options for interchanges, overpasses or closures to replace signalized intersections
- Develop conceptual designs and recommend one option for further study
- Seek feedback from residents, business owners and commuters
- Identify how to fund the improvements
Potential project areas
Hwy 252 between Hwy 610 and I-94
- Potential conversion to 6-lane grade-separated freeway with exit and entrance ramps
I-94 between Hwy 252 and Dowling Ave.
- Potential lane addition to provide a continuous connection to downtown Minneapolis
- No new land would be needed; there is room for additional lanes within the existing highway footprint
I-94 between Dowling Ave. and the 4th St. exit to downtown Minneapolis
- Potential lane conversion (one lane in each direction)