Greater MN stand-alone noise barrier program
The Greater MN Stand-Alone Noise Barrier Program was recommended by the Office of the Legislative Auditor who stated that “MnDOT should create a pathway for communities outside of the metropolitan area to become eligible for state-funded noise barrier projects.”
- Application form (Word)
- Program information and application instructions (PDF)
- Eligible cities broken out by MnDOT District and a MnDOT District contact person (PDF)
Future applications will be accepted annually from October 1 through December 31. Projects will then be selected before June of the following calendar year. Selected projects will generally take about 3 years to design and construct from the time of selection.
Where would the Greater MN Program apply?
All of the following are required for a location to be eligible for the program:
- Within incorporated jurisdiction
- Adjacent to a limited access Freeway, Expressway, or Interstate
- Currently approaches or exceeds FHWA Noise Abatement Criteria (NAC)
- Homes constructed prior to 1997 (date of legislation)
- Does not require a right-of-way purchase
- Not adjacent to a future project which would require a noise analysis and which is identified in the 10 year plan
What will be required from the city/township?
- Commit to pay 10% of the total noise barrier costs
- Formal application from the city/township
- Resolution of support from city council
- Maintenance on the residential side of the noise barrier
What will be performed by MnDOT?
- Accept and score/rank applications
- Conduct a preliminary and final noise analysis based on traffic volumes, density of homes, and cost
- Notify Districts and applicants of proposed projects
What will be performed by MnDOT District Office?
- Preliminary and final design for the noise barrier
- Construction contract administration
- Maintenance, as defined in MnDOT’s cost participation policy
Peter Wasko, INCE
Minnesota Department of Transportation
Office of Environmental Stewardship
Environmental Modeling and Testing Unit Chief
6000 Minnehaha Avenue
Saint Paul, MN 55111