Hwy 52/Oronoco design-build completed project
SP 5508-84, Letting 10/28/05
Project completed in 2007.
About the project
MnDOT - District 6 (Rochester/Owatonna/Winona)
State Project Number: 5508-84
This project, completed with a single design-build contract, included the following improvements:
- Diamond interchange at County Road 112/ 12 (S)
- Overpass at County Road 12 (N)
- New mainline bridges over Lake Shady
- Frontage road construction to facilitate access to local roads
- Access control measures to improve safety
The project provided safer and more efficient traffic operations on Hwy 52 and the adjoining county/local road system.
- Hwy 52 segment located in Olmsted County
- Starts near junction of 85th Street and continues northerly to the 59th Avenue intersection in Oronoco
- Hwy 52 between Rochester and the Twin Cities is classified as a high-priority interregional corridor
- $37 million
- This segment of Hwy 52 features several at-grade intersections.
- Heavy traffic volumes and high speeds make it difficult for traffic to safely access the highway from local cross streets and public roads.
- A December, 2000 Road Safety Audit revealed that the County Road 12(N) intersection in Oronoco had an accident rate twice as high as the statewide average for similar intersections.
- Additionally, the existing northbound Hwy 52 bridges over Lake Shady qualify for replacement based on age, condition, bridge sufficiency ratings, substandard hydraulic capacity and substandard width.