Design-build is a contracting process that brings designers and contractors together early in the detail design portion of a project. The owner clearly defines the standards and general specifications they expect for a project, and the design-build team works together to satisfy those requirements.
Minnesota's Design-build program
Mn/DOT began using design-build in 1996 and constructed three projects using a low-bid approach. In 2001, Mn/DOT obtained legislative approval to use the design-build best value procurement process. Since 2001, Mn/DOT has awarded over $1 billion in design-build projects.
Policy and Laws
- 2012 Industry Outreach Report
- Design-build Institute of America and regional chapters
- University of Colorado, "WIndow to Design Build"
Peter Davich, PE
Minnesota's Future Design-build Projects
Projects Currently in Procurement
Projects under Construction
- Rural Intersection Conflict Warning System (RICWS)
- St. Croix River Approach
- Hastings Bridge Replacement Project
- 169/494 Interchange
- Elk Run Interchange
- Hwy 52 in Rochester (ROC 52)
- I-35E/Maryland Ave. Bridge
- I-35W River Bridge
- I-494 West Twin Cities Metro
- TH 10/32 Interchange
- TH 13/CR101 Intersection
- TH 55