About this project
- Expansion of Hwy 23 from New London to Paynesville from two lanes to four lanes.
- Watch a video overview of the project (YouTube).
- The main detour has been lifted.
- Work continues along Hwy 23 from New London to Paynesville under traffic until the project is suspended over the winter.
Oct. 27, 2023
- Crews continue to grade and do pipe work south of CR 2.
- The box culvert is installed and crews will backfill next week.
- Controlled modulus columns are being installed; there are 736 of them and they will be filled with concrete to support the roadway.
- Preparations for the winter suspension have begun.
- Work will continue until around Nov. 10, and then be suspended for the winter.
Hwy 23 is an important interregional corridor that is a key artery for the economy in the region. It provides the primary east-west route connecting Willmar to Interstate 94 and beyond. The segment of Hwy 23 between Willmar and Interstate 94 is a distance of approximately 53 miles. Of these 53 miles, all but 16 miles have been constructed as a four lane roadway.