Information is tentative and subject to change until a contractor is on board.
Traffic, work plans
Begins summer 2022
Expect roadwork on Hwy 371 from south of Gull Lake Dam Rd. (Crow Wing Co. Rd. 125) to north of Green Gables Rd. (Crow Wing Co. Rd. 126) from summer to fall in 2022.
Overall crews will work inside-out. First replace pipes, then reconstruct the mainline from the median to the outside shoulder and adjacent entrances. Once mainline is done, crews will begin on the east frontage road at BIR, then the west frontage road.
Future traffic impacts
- Weekends - Open to four lanes
- Weekdays - Lane closures
- Planned night work (Sun-Thu) with head-to-head traffic on one side of Hwy 371 as crews replace underground pipes on the other side
- Periodic lane closures at off-peak hours
- No shoulders, narrow lanes
- Reduced speeds and law enforcement on site
- Lanes shifts within work zone
- Access will be open to businesses, residents and visitors, however expect changes and use of alternate accesses:
- Hwy 371 will be open to BIR at Birchdale Rd. or Landmark Dr.
- Hwy 371 access will close temporarily at Green Gables Rd. to replace a pipe (5-8 days). Tentative detour to use Hartley Lake Rd. and Gull Lake Dam Rd. Detour map (PDF)
- Expect use of flaggers while crews work at side roads, entrances or frontage roads along Hwy 371
Schedule at a glance
|Timeframe||Hwy 371 impacts||Work|
|Fall 2021-Spring 2022||Periodic lane or shoulder closures||Prepare work areas|
|Summer 2022||Overnight weekdays: One lane, head-to-head traffic on either side of the Hwy 371||Replace underground pipes|
|Summer 2022||Weekdays: Hwy 371 reduced to one lane of traffic at times, no shoulders
Weekends: Hwy 371 open, but no shoulders
|Reconstruct median area, inside shoulder and left lane; Then outside right lane, shoulder and adjacent entrances|
|Fall||Use of alternate accesses from/to Hwy 371||Reconstruct east frontage road; then west frontage road|
|Fall or spring 2023||Shoulder closures||Wrap up project and establish turf|