Construction Manager / General Contractor
Construction Manager / General Contractor (CMGC) is an integrated approach to planning, designing and constructing a project. Owners, designers and contractors work collaboratively to develop the project scope, optimize the design, improve quality and manage cost. See a general overview of CMGC.
MnDOT's CMGC program
In 2012, the Minnesota Legislature enacted a law authorizing MnDOT to use the CMGC delivery method. The 2012 law authorized MnDOT to award up to four CMGC projects in any calendar year, not to exceed ten total CMGC projects. To date, MnDOT has three CMGC projects that are in the construction phase and three additional CMGC projects that are early in the design development or procurement phases.
Policy and laws
Ongoing or completed CMGC projects
- Winona Bridges
- Smith Avenue High Bridge in St. Paul
- TH 65 (3rd Ave) Bridge over Mississippi River in Minneapolis
- I-35W Storm-water Storage Facility (SSF) - I-35W from 42nd Street to just north of 39th Street in Minneapolis
- Twin Ports Interchange (TPI) - Jct I-35/I-535/TH 53 and Jct I-535 and Garfield Avenue in Duluth
CMGC projects in procurement
- TH 169 Redefine in Elk River, MN (PDF)
Potential CMGC projects
- 11th Street Project in Moorhead, MN
Kevin Hagness, PE