Brief northbound Hwy 43/Mankato Ave. closure at Hwy 61 planned Oct. 7 for pavement repair
WINONA, Minn. – A short portion of the northbound lanes of Highway 43/Mankato Avenue at Highway 61 in Winona will be closed at 6:30 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 7 for about three hours for a construction contractor to repair pavement, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation. Motorists will need to take alternate routes during this short closure.
The project contractor is repairing asphalt on a portion of the northbound lanes where motorists exit the roundabout at Highway 61.
During the closure, motorists will not be able to access northbound Highway 43/Mankato Avenue from the roundabout at Highway 61. Motorists should seek alternate routes to reach their destinations or adjust their travel times if they are able. Work is expected to be completed by mid-morning.
Crews built four roundabouts between Highway 61 and Sarnia along Highway 43/Mankato Avenue. Pedestrian and bike paths were improved and upgraded to meet current Americans with Disabilities Act standards. Additionally, the city of Winona’s underground water and sewer utilities were replaced and improved.
Roundabouts improve safety at intersections and improve the movement of traffic through these areas compared with intersections where traffic signals were in place, but we still rely on drivers to be alert and follow the rules of the road.
A few reminders:
- Watch for pedestrians as you prepare to enter the roundabout
- The vehicle in the roundabout has the right of way. If you are entering the roundabout, you must yield to vehicles in the roundabout. You’ll see a yield sign as you approach.
- Slow down as you approach the roundabout. It allows you a better ability to scan for pedestrians and allows you to safely pick your gap in traffic to enter the roundabout to proceed where you want to go.
- Watch for the vehicle in front of you and be prepared to stop, if they do so.
- Looking for more information? Watch this video for tips and how pedestrian crossings and traffic work.
Below are additional resources that explain roundabout benefits and tips to navigate them safely.
- Navigating a Multi-Lane Roundabout (video)
- Minnesota Roundabout Resources (MnDOT website includes videos, brochures, research, examples)
- How Roundabouts Work (WisDOT website includes videos, brochures, FAQ)