Traffic changes on Interstate 90 east of Blue Earth begin
MANKATO, Minn. – Motorists traveling Interstate 90 east of Blue Earth should expect several changes to traffic over the next two weeks, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
The following traffic changes will occur:
- The westbound I-90 entrance ramp at Faribault County Road 17 will reopen to traffic tonight, Aug. 11 at 8 p.m.
- The westbound I-90 exit ramp at Faribault County Road 17 will reopen to traffic Monday, Aug. 14 at 7 a.m.
- The westbound I-90 entrance ramp at Faribault County Road 23 will close Monday, Aug. 14 at 8 a.m. for approximately two months.
- The entrance ramp from Highway 22 to westbound I-90 will close Monday, Aug. 14 at 8 a.m. Traffic will be detoured to Faribault County Roads 16 and 17 for approximately two months.
- I-90 traffic will be maintained with two-way traffic, one lane in each direction, in the eastbound lanes from Blue Earth to Highway 22 south of Wells for about two weeks, before switching to head-to-head traffic in the eastbound lanes from Faribault County Road 17 to Highway 22.
The westbound I-90 rest area located just west of Blue Earth reopened to the public on Aug. 3.
Construction on westbound I-90 is expected to be complete in late October 2023, weather permitting. Visit the project website for more information.
Project information, benefits, and costs
Approximately 20 miles of I-90 will be resurfaced from two miles west of Highway 169 near Blue Earth to Highway 22 south of Wells during the two-year (2023-2024) project. Both eastbound and westbound I-90 will be improved, as well as ramps, bridges, culverts, and lighting along the project. Eastbound I-90 will be under construction in 2024.
To commemorate the completion of I-90 in 1978, concrete panels near Blue Earth were tinted gold, reminiscent of the ‘Golden Spike’ that symbolized completion of the nation’s first transcontinental railroad in 1869. In 2006, when I-90 needed repaving, most of the golden panels were paved over. As part of the 2023-2024 construction project, the golden panels will be reestablished in their same locations across both the eastbound and westbound lanes of I-90.
Benefits of the project include improved pavement, bridges, drainage, and lighting. Other benefits include improved sidewalks at the Blue Earth Rest Areas to comply with the Americans with Disability Act. PCiRoads was awarded the design-build project with a bid of $80,192,151.70.
Visit the I-90 project website for more information, to sign up for email and text message updates.
Important work zone safety reminders
- Slow down when approaching every work zone
- Never enter a roadway that has been blocked with barriers or cones
- Stay alert; watch for workers and slow-moving equipment
- Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times