Seal coats on several Hwys in southcentral and southwest Minnesota begin July 24
MANKATO, Minn. – Motorists are advised to expect delays on Hwys 14, 19, 22, 30, 71, 83, 99 and 169 in southcentral and southwest Minnesota beginning Monday, July 24, weather permitting, as crews apply a seat coat.
The impacted Hwy portions include:
- Hwy 19: in New Prague
- Traffic will be detoured to 10th Avenue SE, south on Le Sueur County Road 29 and north on Le Sueur County Road 3 as crews complete work in the roundabouts.
- Hwy 99: Hwy 13 east of Le Center to Hwy 21
- Hwy 83: Hwy 22 south of Mankato to 615th Avenue, south of St. Clair
- Hwy 30: Hwy 22 south of Mapleton to New Richland
- Hwy 22: through Mapleton
- Hwy 169: near Blue Earth
- Hwy 71: through Jackson
- Hwy 14: east of 3rd Avenue to west of Hwy 22 in Mankato
- Overnight work in early August
Traffic will be controlled with flaggers and a pilot car. Motorists should expect delays, drive with caution, and watch for workers, equipment, and traffic control devices.
The seal coat is a preventative maintenance measure that provides a protective layer, reducing deterioration due to sun and moisture. Drivers are encouraged to slow down and be alert for loose gravel and oil in these areas.
The sealcoating process for each Hwy segment will take one to two days. Crews will then return a couple weeks later to paint final striping, which will be done under traffic. The entire project will be completed by early September, depending on weather and material availability.