Environmental Assessment Worksheet released for Highway 212 improvement project in Carver County
ROSEVILLE, Minn. – An Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW) for the proposed reconstruction and expansion of a two-lane, 5.5-mile segment of Highway 212 between Norwood Young America and Cologne in Carver County is available for public review and comment beginning Wednesday, July 5, 2023, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
The Environmental Assessment Worksheet outlines the purpose of the proposed project and its anticipated impacts. Carver County is proposing the project.
Features of the project include:
- Expansion of the existing 5.5-mile-long rural two-lane highway to a rural four-lane divided highway with two eastbound lanes and two westbound lanes, separated by a center-median ditch.
- Construction of Reduced Conflict Intersections (RCIs) and improvements to the County Road 51 intersection, including the construction of a grade-separated interchange.
- Construction of roadside ditches and stormwater ponds.
- Construction of structural snow fencing, and light and sign improvements.
The project is also being reviewed under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA). A draft of the NEPA document is available for review (online only) at the same time as the EAW.
The documents are available on the project website at co.carver.mn.us/hwy212projectbenton. The EAW is also available for public review and copying during business hours at the following locations:
- Norwood Young America Library, 314 Elm St. W., Norwood Young America, 55368
- Norwood Young America City Hall, 310 Elm St. W., Norwood Young America, 55368
- Carver County Public Works, 11360 Highway 212 W., Cologne, 55322
- Cologne City Hall, 1211 Village Pkwy., Cologne, 55322
- MnDOT Metro District Office, 1500 W. County Road B2, Roseville, 55113
- Hennepin County Library – Minneapolis Central, Environmental Conservation Library, Government Documents, 2nd Floor, 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, 55401. An electronic copy will be available at this regional library.
Comments can be mailed, prior to the close of the public comment period on Friday, Aug. 4, to Diane Langenbach, at the Minnesota Department of Transportation, 1500 W. County Road B2, Roseville, MN 55113 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Environmental Assessment Worksheet is available in alternative formats by calling Janet Miller at 651-366-4720 or emailing ADArequest.email@example.com. Individuals who are hearing or speech impaired may contact the Minnesota Relay service toll-free at 1-800-627-3529 (TTY, Voice or ASCII) or 711.