Detour for Highway 13 Montgomery project begins July 5
MANKATO, Minn. – Motorists traveling on Highway 13 through Montgomery can expect a detour beginning Wednesday, July 5 as crews begin construction on the highway, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
Highway 13 from Montgomery to Le Sueur County Road 29 will be closed during construction. Traffic will be detoured to Highway 21 (Montgomery Avenue Southeast), 5th Street, Mill Avenue Northeast, and Le Sueur County Roads 3 and 29.
The project will include replacing approximately 1.2 miles of pavement on Highway 13 through the city of Montgomery and construction of a roundabout at the intersection of Highway 13/Le Sueur County Road 28. The project also includes modifications to accesses, updating sidewalk, and installing snow fence.
The project is expected to be complete in late October. Construction of the roundabout at Highway 13/County Road 28 and the section in front of Tri-City United Public Schools is expected to be complete in early September, weather permitting.
Project benefits and costs
Benefits of the project include improved pavement, increased safety, and improved pedestrian accommodations. S.M. Hentges & Sons, Inc. was awarded the project with a bid of $6,930,654.22.
Important reminders for motorists regarding work zone safety:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone
- Never enter a roadway that has been blocked with barriers or cones
- Stay alert; watch for workers and slow-moving equipment
- Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times