About this project
Summary of work
Construction started April 17, 2023 to replace the two bridges at Withers Harbor Dr. in Red Wing. The project is scheduled to be completed in 2024.
- Replace the Hwy 61 bridge over Withers Harbor Dr. and Hay Creek in Red Wing.
- Reconstruct the approaches to the bridge from Bench St. to Withers Harbor Dr. and make other road improvements.
- Hwy 61 motorists in Red Wing who cross Withers Harbor Drive will see traffic changes beginning Tuesday night, April 25, weather permitting.
- From 7 p.m. Tuesday to 7 a.m. Wednesday, Hwy 61 traffic will be in single lanes in each direction in the southbound lanes.
- Withers Harbor Drive will be open.
- Single lane traffic in each direction in the southbound lanes may occur again the next night, depending on weather and if the work is not completed after the first night.
- Once completed, traffic will be switched back to single lane traffic in northbound and southbound lanes for the remainder of the week.
- After the above work is completed, Hwy 61 traffic will be switched to single lane traffic in the southbound lanes and remain this way until the end of August.
- Withers Harbor Drive will be closed again the week of April 24 and remain closed for several weeks, at least until bridge demolition is completed.
- Motorists will not be able to make left turns off Hwy 61 but will be able to follow alternate routes that allow them to make turns, typically right turns, to reach the destinations off the highway.
- Motorists won’t be able to make left turn from southbound Bench St. to southbound Hwy 61.
- Local road detours will be utilized as needed during certain phases of construction.
- Hay Creek Trail under the bridge will be closed and detoured intermittently throughout the project while critical bridge activities are completed. This will occur during the construction season only.