Dealing with aggressive drivers
Learn the characteristics of an aggressive driver and what to do if confronted by one.
You are an aggressive driver if you...
- Ignore traffic signals
- Speed and tailgate
- Weave in and out of traffic
- Make improper lane changes frequently and abruptly
- Pass on the shoulder
- Make hand and facial gestures
- Scream, honk and flash lights
If confronted by an aggressive driver, you should...
- Get out of their way as soon as you can safely
- Stay calm — reaching your destination safely is your goal
- Do not challenge them
- Avoid eye contact
- Ignore gestures and don’t return them
- Always buckle up to maintain proper seating position in case of abrupt driving maneuvers
- Report aggressive driving (vehicle description, license number, location)
- Find a safe place to call 911
- Be prepared to provide location, vehicle description and license plate number
- Report unsafe driving online when you get to your destination