Registration for January 2024 and February 2024 will open on Tuesday, Nov. 28.
Tribal-State Relations Training
- 11 classes will be delivered in-person and hosted by Tribal Governments at various locations around the state.
- Two-day class cost is $399 (Meals and materials included. Does not include transportation or lodging expenses - see the training announcement (PDF) for hotel information).
- Preliminary Agenda (PDF)
- Presenters include tribal leaders, staff & community members, Minnesota tribal liaisons, and Tadd Johnson, Esq..
- Sessions are facilitated by Professor Joseph Bauerkemper of the Tribal Sovereignty Institute at the University of Minnesota Duluth.
Who Should Attend
Under the Laws of Minnesota 2021, 1st Spec. Sess. chapter 14, article 11, section 5 subd. 3J: Commissioners, Deputy Commissioners, and Assistant Commissioners, along with employees whose work will likely impact the 11 tribal nations in Minnesota are required to attend the Tribal-State Relations Training.
- January 24-25, 2024, Jackpot Junction Casino Hotel, in Morton, MN
- Hosted by the Lower Sioux Indian Community
- February 14-15, 2024, Grand Casino Hinckley in Hinckley, MN
- Hosted by the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe
- March 13-14, 2024, Giminjimendaamin Ezhichigeyand in Redby, MN
- Hosted by Red Lake Nation
- April 10-11, 2024, Black Bear Casino Resort in Carlton, MN
- Hosted by the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa
- May 8-9, 2024, Prairie's Edge Casino Resort in Granite Falls, MN
- Hosted by the Upper Sioux Community
- June 12-13, 2024, Grand Portage Lodge in Grand Portage, MN
- Hosted by the Grand Portage Band of Lake Superior Chippewa
- Registrations must be sent to Holly with the TSRT Team. Emails sent to the wrong email address may delay your registration.
- For detailed instructions on how to register, please see the Training Announcement and Registration (PDF)
- Classes are filled on a first come, first serve basis. Registration will close when the class is full.
- Follow your agency's training registration process. Supervisory approval may be needed.
- Payment must be received by UMD by either credit card or purchase order in order to register for the training (an EIOR for cost is required for funding)
- A confirmation email will then be sent from the University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD) that could be in your spam folder. A reminder email will be sent a week prior to class with further information.
- TSRT is designed specifically for and is only offered to the State of Minnesota employees in accordance with MN statute 10.65.
- Non-state employees are occasionally accepted to attend training. Each request is considered by our steering committee on a case-by-case basis. Please use the link below to fill out the needed information for the steering committee.
- External Attendee Request form
If you have any questions regarding the class, please email the TSRT Planning Team.
If you have questions regarding registration, please email Holly with the TSRT Planning Team.