Minnesota Strategic Highway Safety Plan (SHSP)
Purpose of the 2014-2019 Minnesota Strategic Highway Safety Plan
The 2014-2019 Minnesota Strategic Highway Safety Plan (SHSP) is a plan:
- To reduce traffic fatalities and serious injuries
- That includes all roadway users
- For all Minnesota traffic safety advocates
- That recognizes the complicated relationship between crash types and promotes strategic partnerships to impact safety
- Informed by input from traffic safety professionals and advocates of many disciplines
- Informed by data!
The Minnesota Strategic Highway Safety Plan meets the requirements of Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21). This Act authorized Highway Trust Funds programs for Federal Fiscal Years 2012 through 2014, designated required performance measures for state safety programs, and required states to update their Strategic Highway Safety Plans.
- The Federal Highway Administration offers guidance for state Strategic Highway Safety Plans.
- At the 2013 Toward Zero Deaths Regional Workshops and the 2013 Toward Zero Deaths Visioning Workshop, over 554 traffic safety partners and stakeholders helped develop the priorities of the 2014-2019 Minnesota Strategic Highway Safety Plan.
- The 2014-2019 Strategic Highway Safety Plan coordinates with 15 existing transportation plans and includes input from multimodal transportation organizations, the Minnesota Safety Council, the Minnesota Department of Transportation Freight and Commercial Vehicle Operations Office and Passenger Rail Office
Implementation of the 2014-2019 Minnesota Strategic Highway Safety Plan
- Resources for local and rural roadway safety
- Minnesota’s progress toward our 2020 fatality and serious injury targets
To learn more about Minnesota's focus areas, select a topic below:
- Safety culture and awareness
- Inattentive drivers
- Impaired roadway users
- Lane departure
- Older drivers
- Younger drivers
- Data management
- Management systems
- EMS and trauma
- Unlicensed drivers
- Work zones
- Vehicle enhancements
- Commercial vehicles