Highway 14 lane closures begin May 30 west of Rochester at Byron
ROCHESTER, Minn. – Highway 14 motorists west of Rochester will encounter single lane roadways for approximately two weeks beginning Tuesday, May 30, while construction crews continue work on safety improvements, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
Full-time lane closures will begin on May 30, weather permitting, at Highway 14 and Olmsted County Road 3 east of Byron, where crews are working to construct a J-turn . Single-lane roadways will be in effect on both sides of County Road 3 and Highway 14 until Monday, June 12.
County Road 3 will remain closed and detoured at Highway 14. Motorists who want to cross Highway 14 at County Road 3 or enter Highway 14 from County Road 3 will follow detour routes:
- Motorists north of Highway 14 will take 7th Street Northeast west to 10th Avenue Northeast south to Highway 14.
- Motorists south of Highway 14 will take Country Club Road/ Olmsted Co. Rd. 34 west to 10th Avenue Southeast to Highway 14.
The detours will be in effect through mid-June when the project is completed.
Once completed, the J-turn will allow Highway 14 motorists to make left turns onto County Road 3, but County Road 3 motorists will not be able to cross Highway 14 or turn left. Instead, they will use designated U-turn sections to reach their destinations.
This change prevents vehicles from going directly across Highway 14 and it significantly reduces T-bone crashes while still allowing vehicles to cross the roadway.
Motorists may encounter lane closures or lane shifts, uneven road surfaces, equipment and other unexpected obstacles when driving near or through work zones. MnDOT advises motorists to:
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times.
- Go hands-free and minimize other distractions (e.g., don’t eat or drink while driving).
- Follow posted speed limits; the fine for speeding in a work zone is $300.
- Avoid making lane changes within work zones.
Stay connected, informed
- Learn more about this Highway 14 project and sign up for email/text message updates.
- Check out other MnDOT southeast Minnesota construction projects and sign up for construction updates.
- Interested in a job with MnDOT? Career information for the State of Minnesota can be found at the Minnesota Management and Budget website . Come join us.